Below are some of the places I or my writing have been featured recently.
Women, mothers, and the workplace
- Maxed Out bookstore reading—watch video here | Dec. 1, 2013 | CSPAN BookTV
- “After Being Pushed to the Limit Herself, This Author Examines Why Moms Get Maxed Out” | Nov. 28, 2013 | The Globe & Mail
- “Woman Speaks Out on Overworked Mothers” (live TV interview) | Nov. 22, 2013 | WGN Morning News (Chicago)
- “Learn to Say No to Find Balance in Busy Life” | Nov. 17, 2013 | Detroit Free Press
- “Five Best Friday Columns” | Nov. 15, 2013 | Atlantic Wire
(My Motherlode story from 11/13 was selected for the Best Columns list.)
- “Why Paternity Leave Is Actually a Women’s Issue” | Nov. 13, 2013 | iVillage
- “10 Ways ‘Maxed Out’ Moms Can Start Changing Things Right Now, Thank You Author Katrina Alcorn” | Nov. 13, 2013 | Parents.com
- “‘Maxed Out’ Author Thought Readers Would Critique Her Ideas. Instead, They Judged Her Choices” | Nov. 13, 2013 | The New York Times—Motherlode
- “Here’s what the Swedes get right about parenting that Americans don’t” | Nov. 12, 2013 | Business Insider
- “Do You Dread the Holidays?” | Nov. 9, 2013 | Doing What Works radio show
- “Being a Working Mother Means Always Having to Say You’re Sorry” | Nov. 4, 2013 | The New York Times— Motherlode
- “Are You Feeling Maxed Out?” | Nov. Issue | Bay Area Parent
- “Katrina Alcorn Discusses ‘Having It All’” | Oct. 30, 2013 | MSNBC “The Cycle”
- “Three Tips for Maxed Out Moms” | Oct. 23, 2013 | Canadian Living
- “How to Help Maxed Out Moms, Overwhelmed Parents” | Oct. 20, 2013 | St. Louis Post Dispatch
- “Why This Mom Doesn’t Believe in ‘Leaning In’” | Oct. 15, 2013 | Forbes
For the record, my views on Sheryl Sandberg’s book and message are more nuanced than the headline would suggest. Read my review of Lean In here>
- “Od redakcji: Czy kult pracy popłaca?” (review of Maxed Out in Polish)| Oct. 14, 2013 | Polish Weekly Paper
- Live nationally syndicated radio interview | Oct. 13, 2013 | America Weekend
- Live satellite TV interview | Oct. 10, 2013 | Sunrise (Australia’s most highly rated morning talk show!)
- Live author interview | Oct.9, 2013 | CBS radio, St. Louis
- “Mothers more fatigued than dads but still find jobs and child care meaningful, report finds” | Oct. 8, 2013 | The Washington Post
- “Maxed Out” | Oct. 2, 2013 | East Bay Express
Maxed Out made the cover story for this Bay Area alternative weekly!
- “Is the U.S. the Worst Place to Be a Working Mom?” | Sept. 30, 2013 | BabyCenter.com
- “Having It All: Moms on the Brink, a Book Review” | Sept. 30, 2013 | Project Eve
- “A Book Review of Katrina Alcorn’s Maxed Out: American Moms on the Brink” | Sept. 27, 2013 | About.com
- Live author interview | Sept. 25, 2013 | 96.1 FM WSBT (South Bend, Indiana)
- “Motherhood Gave Me a Nervous Breakdown” | Sept. 24, 2013 | TIME Magazine
- “Hangin with Langan” live in-studio radio interview | Sept. 22, 2013 | KGO radio
- “I’ve ‘Opt-ed In’ To ‘Lean In’ And Now I’m One Of Those ‘Maxed Out’ Working Moms Having It All” | Sept. 22, 2013 | Mommyish
- “The Back-to-Work Guilt Trip” | Sept. 20,2013 | The Daily Beast
- “The Day I Had My Working Mom Nervous Breakdown,” | Sept. 19, 2013 | iVillage.com
- “On the Brink: Many Working Moms Falling Apart, Author Says” | Sept. 18, 2013 | TODAY Show Moms site
- “Maxed out: That’s the life of American moms, who live “on the brink,” new book says” | Sept. 16, 2013 | Orlando Sentinel
- “Working Mom Guilt” | Sept. 14, 2013 | Lifestyle Talk Radio
National radio show hosted by Emma Johnson. Show theme: “Working mom guilt is holding you back at work and home: Here is why you have it and here is what to do about it.” Download the full show here. (My interview starts at 17:45.)
- “Sometimes When Moms Lean In at Work, They Fall Over” | Sept. 11, 2013 | The Washington Post
Reporter Mari-Jane Williams interviewed me about why women struggle to balance work and family.
- Book review: MAXED OUT | Sept. 9, 2013 | The Advocate
- “It’s Time to call a Truce to the Mommy Wars” | Sept. 8, 2013 | Women’s eNews
WeNews published an excerpt from Maxed Out.
- “Brood Reads: Our August Picks for Parents” | Aug. 28, 2013 | Parade Magazine
The week my book, Maxed Out, was published, it was selected as one of four recommended books for parents by the editors at Parade!
- “10 Things Moms Can Do to Challenge America’s Hostile Environment for Working Women” | Aug. 2013 | Alternet
Alternet published an excerpt from the Afterword of Maxed Out.
- Veria Living Live TV Interview | August 2013
- “Why Women Helping Women Is Essential to Workplace Flexibility” | August 2013 | The Huffington Post
I was interviewed by Stacey Delo in her piece about women starting their own companies, and helping other women to balance careers and motherhood.
- “Lean In or Lean Out: America’s Pregnant Workers Decide” | July 31, 2013 | CBS New York
- “Ridiculously Long Men’s Room Lines at Tech Conferences” | June 2013 | The Atlantic
This photo essay included a quote from one of my blog posts, along with my photo from the TED conference in Long Beach where women were sadly underrepresented, as evidenced by the ridiculously short women’s room line.
- “What a Mother Needs Most Is Time” | May 2013 | The Atlantic
Writer Nanette Fondas interviewed me about the health effects on moms who are chronically “rushed and tired” for this Mother’s Day story.
- “Working From Home Saves Me Thousands” | Mar. 2013 | CNN Money
After the Marissa Mayer ban on telecommuting at Yahoo!, I was interviewed about my experience working from home—specifically how much money it saved me—for the CNNMoney column. I’d never really thought about the cost savings until I spoke with the reporter, but you know what? It’s true. Working from home has saved me thousands.
- “Working Moms Need More Than Subsidized Breast Pumps” | Feb. 2013 | Business Week
I was interviewed in this story by Jessica Grose about the problems with pumping at work.
- The Lady Brain Show | October 2012
Interview with hosts Steph and Lauren about a story I wrote for The Huffington Post: “My Advice for Women Who Give Advice to Women.” Show aired on Comcast TV channel 104, and radio (KNEW 960 San Francisco, KWSS, KSTE (Phoenix))
- “We Are Women. Hear Us Roar. Again.” | May 2012 | Diablo Magazine
I was interviewed in this story about the next wave of feminism, the intersection of motherhood and work, and how “women are finding a middle way that may be a path to the future.”
- The Second Shift | 2012 edition
I’m really, really honored to be included in the 2012 updated version of Arlie Hochschild’s bestselling book about the stalled gender revolution, which was first published in 1989. The new Afterward quotes, for three paragraphs, a Huffington Post piece I wrote in 2010 called “If You Give a Mouse a Prozac.”
- “How to Talk to Your Younger Child About Sex” | February 2012 | GreatSchools.org
The title says it all. Laura Scholes interviewed me about the time my young daughter caught me by surprise with questions about sex.
- Panel on Custom Fit Workplaces | July 2011 | Berkeley Startup Cluster
Joan Blades, co-founder of MoveOn and MomsRising asked me to join her for a panel discussion about what is broken about the modern workplace, and how we can fix it.
- The Wall Street Journal | The Juggle | Jan. 2011
Occasionally I get a little Wall Street Journal “bump” when the editors link to something I wrote about, like this “hat-tip” and this one.
- Listen To Your Mother reading | Aug. 2011 | BlogHer conference, San Diego, CA
I read this piece for the Open Mic Salon. You can see a picture of me looking possessed as I read from the podium here.
- “It’s Time to Talk to Employers About Domestic Workers’ Rights” | Apr. 2011 | Colorlines
Reporter Akiba Solomon interviewed me about the impact a new law to protect domestic workers might have on working parents who employ them.
- Ladybrain | Apr. 2010 | KUSF 90.3 FM San Francisco
We talked about why it can feel impossible to “do it all” as a working parent. The full interview is available here.
- “Your Time with Kim Iverson” | Mar. 2010 | radio interview
Interview with syndicated talk show that airs in 10 cities about my “decision” to quit working. (Was it really a decision?) Full interview available here.
- “(510) Family Favs: Katrina from Oakland” | January 2011 | 510families.org
The editors of 510families asked me to share my favorite places to take kids in Oakland. The site is an incredible resource for families living in the East Bay Area.
Mothers and the environment
I participated in a series of studies through the Environmental Working Group after my first child was born and got a slew of media attention when the results came out.
- “Toxic Household Dust?” | 2004 | CBS national news
A video from one of the interviews I gave after the second set of results were published. (I had a different last name, Katrina Friedman.)
- “Study Finds Flame Retardant in U.S. Breastmilk” | 2003 | San Francisco Chronicle
Chronicle Environment reporter, Jane Kay, interviewed me about the first study I participated in, which tested the breast milk of new mothers for flame retardants (a neurotoxin). My results were several times higher than the average amount found in women when the chemicals were banned in Europe.